Skip to main content
9.1: Introduction to Middle Adulthood
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- Explain trends in life expectancy and healthy life expectancy.
- List developmental tasks of midlife.
- Summarize physical changes that occur in midlife.
- Explain physical changes that occur during menopause.
- Describe variations in cultural responses to menopause.
- Contrast menopause and andropause.
- Explain the relationships between the climacteric and sexual expression.
- Discuss the impact of exercise on health in midlife.
- Describe the ideal diet for middle aged adults.
- Describe cognitive development in midlife.
- Compare midlife students with younger students and their approach to learning.
- Contrast the expert and the novice.
- Evaluate the notion of the midlife crisis.
- Define kinkeeping and the impact of caregiving.
- Describe Erikson’s stage of generativity vs. stagnation.
- Compare types of singles.
- Contrast intrinsic and utilitarian marriages.
- Classify types of marriages based on Cuber and Harroff’s model.
- Discuss communication in marriage.
- Describe the stations of divorce.
- Discuss issues related to re-coupling including remarriage and cohabitation.
- Describe personality changes in midlife.
- Discuss work related issues in midlife.
- Losing parents and experiencing associated grief.
- Launching children into their own lives.
- Adjusting to home life without children (often referred to as the empty nest).
- Dealing with adult children who return to live at home (known as boomerang children in the United States).
- Becoming grandparents.
- Preparing for late adulthood.
- Acting as caregivers for aging parents or spouses.