1.5: Science and Common Sense
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- Explain the limitations of common sense when it comes to achieving a detailed and accurate understanding of human behavior.
- Give several examples of common sense or folk psychology that are incorrect.
- Define skepticism and its role in scientific psychology.
Can We Rely on Common Sense?
- “People use only 10% of their brain power.”
- “Most people experience a midlife crisis in their 40’s or 50’s.”
- “Students learn best when teaching styles are matched to their learning styles.”
- “Low self-esteem is a major cause of psychological problems.”
- “Psychiatric admissions and crimes increase during full moons.”
How Could We Be So Wrong?