Skip to main content
2.6: Lecture Outline for Part I
- Last updated
Save as PDF
Suggested Lecture Material for Part I—Dominant and Minority Groups
- Review Master Status.
- Definitions, discussion, and examples of dominant group and dominant group status.
- Discuss and give examples of white privilege.
- Definitions, discussion, and examples of minority groups and minority group status.
- Discuss and give examples of bigotry against minority groups.
- Use the Internet to display population data about racial and ethnic groups in the US.
- Define immigration.
- Define emigration.
- Define and discuss push factors.
- Define and discuss pull factors.
- Define and discuss cultural assimilation.
- Define and discuss structural assimilation.
- Identify and discuss models of assimilation.
- Standard Model.
- Pluralistic Model.
- Use the Internet to display statistical information concerning immigration into the US.
- Historical data.
- Current data.
- Future data.
- What is the projected population of each racial and ethnic group?
- Identify and differentiate among the various theories of race and ethnicity.
- Colonialism and Empire
- Middle-man minorities
- Merton’s Typology of Bigotry