Skip to main content
6.5: Lecture Outline for Part V
- Last updated
Save as PDF
Minority Studies: A Brief Text: Suggested Lecture Material for Part V—Disability
- Define disability and discuss the major forms it takes.
- Physical versus cognitive disability
- Disability in everyday life tasks
- Disability of mobility
- Instrumental activities of daily living (IADL)
- Discuss stereotypes concerning the disabled.Discuss Irving Goffman’s Stigma
- Discuss the historical time period and background of the theory
- Discuss Goffman’s abominations of the body
- Discuss the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Use the Internet to find and display statistical socioeconomic data concerning disabilities and the disabled in the United States.
- Use the Internet to find and display statistical information concerning the current legal status of the disabled in the United States.
- Use the Internet to find and display information about US Supreme Court decisions concerning the disabled.