Skip to main content
4: Audience Analysis
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- 4.1: The Importance of Audience Analysis
- This section helps the speaker understand the importance of understanding who's in the audience.
- 4.2: Demographic Characteristics
- Speakers need to understand some general ideas about audience analysis (avoiding stereotyping, etc.) and also recognize the demographic characteristics that can be evaluated.
- 4.3: Psychographic Characteristics
- In addition to understanding the demographics, a speaker should try to understand the audience's beliefs and values.
- 4.4: Contextual Factors of Audience Analysis
- An effective speaker also needs to look at the context or environment that the speech is being given in.
- 4.5: Cultural Diversity and Public Speaking
- In our increasingly diverse society, it's critical to understand that not every one of your classmates will have the same worldview.
- 4.6: Other Resources and Chapter Activities
- Students and faculty can find additional resources and learning activities to supplement the chapter's reading material.