Operational definition - A definition of a variable in terms of operations/activities that a research uses to measure/manipulate it
Gives a variable a concrete definition so you can actually use it in an experiment, this allows the researcher to maintain consistency.
All variables involved in a study should be operationalized
- Types of Independent Variables
- Physiological - biological state is altered
- Experience - amount or type of previous training
- Stimulus - aspect of the environment is manipulated
- Participant - demographics. Not true IVs because they're not manipulated, but can be used as categories for comparison.
- Confounding & Extraneous variables - variables that have an unitnended influence on the results