- Explain how the structure of academic careers, topical specialization, and writing styles contribute to difficulty with communicating findings from academic anthropology to a wider public.
- Identify examples of anthropological research that has contributed to the public good.
- Define public anthropology and distinguish it from academic anthropology and applied anthropology.
- Assess the factors that contribute to a desire for public engagement in anthropology as well as the obstacles to this engagement.
- Evaluate the ways in which accountability, transparency, collaboration, and the goal of benefitting others could contribute to reframing anthropology.
- Discuss actions that can be taken by anthropologists to facilitate social change.