Skip to main content
1: What is Culture?
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- What is the origin of the English word, “culture?”
- How has the meaning of the word changed over time? Trace its evolution from the 18th to the 21st century.
- Contrast Sir Edward Tylor’s 19th century view of culture with that of Franz Boas at the beginning of the 20th century. How are they similar? How are they different?
- What is the significance of Kroeber and Kluckhohn’s classic work published in 1952?
- List the seven themes that seem to capture the scholarly literature on culture. Which theme(s) do you find most compelling?
- 1.1: Culture, simply defined
- 1.2: Brief history of a concept
- 1.3: Franz Boas and the birth of American anthropology
- 1.4: Later 20th and 21st century developments
- 1.5: Final reflections