Skip to main content
10.1: Effective Negotiation Requires Work Before, During, and After
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- Know what to do before, during, and after a negotiation, as it will help to ensure success.
- Understand how research will help to ensure that you know what the other party in the negotiation is expecting.
- Learn active listening techniques that make for a productive negotiation.
- Understand that it is important to remain professional at all times, as it’s crucial for negotiation and for your continued career success.
- Using the strategy of preparing what to do before, during, and after a negotiation will increase your chances of it going well.
- Being professional at all times will further increase your chances of succeeding during a negotiation.
- Pair up with a classroom buddy and brainstorm about what you need to do before a negotiation. How would you research the starting salary for the position you are most interested in?
- Practice active listening techniques during the negotiation.
- Remain professional during a negotiation role play, no matter how unprofessional the other party is.
- How would you follow up if the negotiation yielded a job? How would you follow up if the negotiation did not yield a job?