6.3B: Informal Structure
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- Explain the function of informal groups within a formal organizational structure
- Keith Davis suggests that informal groups serve at least four major functions within the formal organizational structure.
- Informal groups perpetuate the cultural and social values that the group holds dear.
- Informal groups provide social status and satisfaction that may not be obtained from the formal organization.
- Informal groups develop a communication channel to keep its members informed about what management actions will affect them in various ways.
- Informal groups provide social control by influencing and regulating behavior inside and outside the group.
- Informal organizations: It consists of a dynamic set of personal relationships, social networks, communities of common interest, and emotional sources of motivation. The informal organization evolves organically and spontaneously in response to changes in the work environment, the flux of people through its porous boundaries, and the complex social dynamics of its members.
What is Informal Organization?
Key Characteristics of Informal Organizations
Functions of Informal Organizations