This unit introduces the basic vocabulary for tree diagrams. Tree diagrams are the notation that most syntacticians use to describe how sentences are organized in the mental grammar.
In the following tree diagram:
1. What is the structural relationship between V loves and NP sushi?
- V and NP are sisters.
- V is the mother of NP.
- V is the daughter of NP.
- V and NP are not related in any of these three ways.
2. What is the structural relationship between NP Colin and V loves?
- Deg and V are sisters.
- Deg is the mother of V.
- Deg is the daughter of V.
- NP and V are not related in any of these three ways.
3. Which node is the sister of NP Colin?