Skip to main content
9: Conversation Skills
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- Define conversation and what makes it unique to other forms of interaction.
- Recognize basic conversational structure and how it works.
- Synthesize Grice’s Maxims with basic conversational structure.
- Describe the greeting process and its importance to conversation.
- Analyze the typical greeting sequence as it occurs in real conversation.
- Apply opening techniques to begin conversations with unacquainted people.
- Describe the process of topicalization and its role in conversation.
- Apply topicalization techniques that eliciting conversation of increased breadth and depth.
- Differentiate kinds of closing sequences used in everyday conversation.
- Apply pre-closing techniques to effectively close conversation.
- 9.1: Principles of Conversation
- 9.2: Opening Conversation
- 9.3: Eliciting Conversation
- 9.4: Closing Conversation