Skip to main content
6.7: Chapter Exercises
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- If Rona attempts to persuade the retirees without divulging the information about the future cuts, is she a pure persuader or a manipulative persuader?
- Does a political operative have an ethical obligation to be honest when the information being disseminated to a group of people isn’t complete?
- If you were Rona, what would you do?
- Modern scholars generally describe the three general purposes of speaking as
- entertain, persuade, and debate
- persuade, inform, and perpetuate
- celebrate, perpetuate, and inform
- inform, persuade, and entertain
- deliberative, epideictic, and forensic
- “To persuade a group of local residents to buy a car from Mitken’s Car Dealership” is an example of which type of purpose?
- Benji wanted to speak on the elements of jazz music, but his instructor told the class that they could only choose from a specific list of topics. This is an example of
- poor topic selection
- a bad speech
- poor narrowing
- topic shortage aversion
- Which of the following would be a good scope for a speech that is five to seven minutes in length?
- the history of the United States
- military maneuvers in the nineteenth century
- women in the Battle of Lewisburg
- religion in Asia
- changes in state-sponsored militias
- Tika is speaking on the benefits of sleep, but does not include a call for action to get more sleep. Which type of general purpose does Tika have?
- to inform
- to persuade
- to entertain
- to console
- to educate