Skip to main content
- Fourteen-year-old Monica is very idealistic and often develops crushes on people she doesn't even know. This reflects her newly developed cognitive ability to:
- imagine possible worlds and people.
- take another person's viewpoint.
- deal simultaneously with two sides of an issue.
- see herself as others see her.
- The term menarche refers to:
- first ovulation.
- the growth of the uterus.
- a girl's first menstrual period.
- the start of estrogen production.
- New research indicates changes in the teenage brain. What occurs?
- There is a growth spurt in the prefrontal lobes of the brain.
- The hippocampus shrinks substantially.
- The circadian rhythm shifts making teens more alert in the morning.
- The motor cortex doubles in size.
- Which of the following is TRUE about puberty?
- Only males experience lowered voices during puberty.
- Both males and females may experience breast growth during puberty.
- Teens typically gain about 20 pounds in weight during puberty.
- Males have greater body image problems than do females.
- Most teens in the United States have which problem with nutrition?
- They have too much calcium in the diet.
- They consume too many calories and inadequate nutrition.
- They typically do not consume enough protein.
- They have low sodium levels.
- The substance that is most commonly used by youth in America today is:
- Which of the following is TRUE of youth in the United States today?
- Teen pregnancy rates are down.
- Teen crime rates have increased sharply in the last 5 years.
- Teen drop out rates are at an all time high.
- Teens suicide rates have increased steadily since the 1970s.
- Changes in secondary sex characteristics include ALL BUT WHICH ONE?
- growth of the testes.
- The development of pubic hair.
- Breast development.
- An accumulation of fat on the thighs and hips.
- The invincibility fable refers to a teenager’s
- belief that the body is indestructible.
- feeling that everyone is watching their behavior.
- belief that they are destined to be famous.
- feeling that others do not understand how the teen feels.
- Which of the following is TRUE concerning teens?
- Teens are often the victims of violence.
- Most types of teen crime are higher today than ever before.
- There are more runaway teens than thrownaway teens.
- Teen pregnancy rates are at an all-time high in the United States.
- Bob helped his sports team win the state championship and now he thinks he may someday be famous. This reflects:
- the invincibility fable.
- the personal fable.
- the imaginary audience.
- This type of love is self-centered and manipulative.
- If you believe the principle of least interest, you can maximize your power:
- by showing your partner how much you need him or her.
- by having plenty of other options for other relationships.
- by doing things to gain your partner’s interest in the relationship.
- by being kind and loving.
- Early adulthood is a time of:
- peak physiological development.
- thinking that you are destined to be famous.
- worrying about what others think.
- concrete operational thought.
- This type of thought is associated with adulthood and education.
- concrete operational thought.
- dialectical thought.
- preoperational thought.
- existential thought.