Skip to main content
11.1: Introduction to Death and Dying
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- Compare the leading causes of death in the United States with those of developing countries.
- Compare physiological, social, and psychic death.
- List and describe the stages of loss based on various models including that of Kubler-Ross.
- Explain the philosophy and practice of palliative care.
- Describe hospice care.
- Differentiate attitudes toward hospice care based on race and ethnicity.
- Summarize Dame Cicely Saunders’ writings about total pain of the dying.
- Compare euthanasia, passive-euthanasia, and physician-assisted suicide.
- Characterize bereavement and grief.
- Express your own ideas about death and dying.