Suicide rates can vary substantially across geographic regions, and rural areas experience much higher rates of suicide than urban areas. Suicide rates increase as population density decreases and an area becomes more rural:
- Large central metropolitan: 10.9 per 100,000
- Large fringe metro: 12.5 per 100,000
- Medium metro: 15.3 per 100,000
- Small metro: 17.2 per 100,000
- Micropolitan (non-metro): 18.3 per 100,000
- Noncore (non-metro): 20.5 per 100,000
Suicide rates in rural areas are highest among non-Hispanic AI/AN males (59.6 per 100,000) and non-Hispanic white males (37.9 per 100,000).