Skip to main content
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- Describe the terms self-concept, self-image, self-esteem and ideal self.
- Discuss theories and ideas related to self-concept (Johari window, reflected appraisal, social comparison and self-fulfilling prophecy).
- Demonstrate the ability to use the Johari window to categorize aspects of your self-concept.
- Discuss how reflected appraisal and social comparison have influenced your self-concept.
- Describe self-image and explain how we perform different roles in different contexts.
- Relate Carl Jung's concepts of persona and shadow to self-image.
- Describe cognitive dissonance and the three ways to resolve it.
- Discuss perception and identity the five stages of perception.
- Describe image management and face needs.
- Define the terms culture, race and ethnicity.
- Describe the four components of culture.
- Recognize cultural influences on communication (i.e., individualism and collectivism, low- and high-context cultures and low- and high-power distance cultures).
- Describe the process of identity formation and different types of identities (i.e., personal, social and cultural).
- Discuss identity management and the relational stages.
- 3.1: Self-Concept
- 3.2: Self-Image
- 3.3: Culture and Identity