Skip to main content
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- 5.1: Understanding How and Why We Listen
- 5.2: Barriers to Effective Listening
- 5.3: Improving Listening Competence
- 5.4: Listenable Messages and Effective Feedback
- Sending messages is an important part of the listening process. Although we often think of listening as the act of receiving messages, that passive view of listening overlooks the importance of message construction and feedback. In the following section, we will learn how speakers can facilitate listening by creating listenable messages and how listeners help continue the listening process through feedback for others and themselves.