- Discuss the different types of law
- Discuss the different types of jurisdiction
Types of Jurisdictions
- Original Jurisdiction– the court that gets to hear the case first. For example Municipal courts typically have original jurisdiction over traffic offenses the occur within city limits.
- Appellate Jurisdiction– the power for a higher court to review a lower courts decision. For example, the Texas Court of Appeals has appellate jurisdiction over the District Courts (See the hierarchy of Texas Court Structure in this Unit).
- Exclusive Jurisdiction– only that court can hear a specific case. For example only the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals Court can hear appeals for death penalty sentences.
Contributors and Attributions
CC licensed content, Original
- Jurisdiction, Types of Law, and the Selection of Judges. Authored by: Daniel M. Regalado. License: CC BY: Attribution