Skip to main content
1: Educator as a Professional
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- 1.1: Why Do Teachers Teach?
- 1.2: Why Teachers Leave the Profession
- 1.3: Is Teaching A Profession?
- 1.4: Teacher Training- Ideal vs. Reality
- 1.5: What do I need to do to become a teacher?
- 1.6: Are the Best Teachers Highly Qualified?
- What is teaching exactly? Some argue that it is a learned profession, others say it requires many years of training. I believe it is a combination of both. “Teaching is, or ought to be, a difficult and complex endeavor. When one considers what is expected of a teacher in terms of end results- the preservation and improvement of our culture and civilization-teaching is perhaps the most important job in a democratic society.” (Troen and Boles, 34 and 35)
- 1.7: What are some non-traditional educational careers?