Skip to main content
188.8.131.52.1: The Symbolic Nature of Culture
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- 3.2A: The Symbolic Nature of Culture
- 3.2B: The Origins of Language
- 3.2C: Language
- 3.2D: Language and Perception
- 3.2E: Symbols and Nature
- 3.2F: Gestures
- 3.2G: Values
- 3.2H: Norms
- Social norms are the explicit or implicit rules specifying what behaviors are acceptable within a society or group.
- 3.2I: Sanctions
- As opposed to forms of internal control, like norms and values, sociologists consider sanctions a form of external control.
- 3.2J: Folkways and Mores
- Folkways and mores are informal norms that dictate behavior; however, the violation of mores carries heavier consequences.