Skip to main content
3: Verbal Elements of Communication
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- 3.1: How Words Work
- Although we have dictionary definitions to guide us, it is important to remember that many words in the English language have multiple definitions, and the meaning can change based on the context in which the word is used.
- 3.2: Types of Language
- This section will look at names, how we use language to express affiliation, and ways in which the words we use can express bias. To be effective communicators, we need to realize the different ways that language can be significant and instrumental.
- 3.3: Formal and Informal Language
- Competent communicators adapt their words to their audience and the communication context
- 3.4: Improving Verbal Communication
- Since verbal communication can be challenging, we need to be aware of steps we can take to improve our verbal communication.
- 3.5: Review