What Do You Want to Do When You “Grow Up”?
Taking the Career Coach Self-Assessment
- Visit: https://southwest-tn.emsicc.com
- Select the “sign up” link to create an account and save your results. IMPORTANT: Use your STCC email account so you can access your results in the future. This will also be helpful for accessing job openings and internships.
- Select “Take the Assessment.” Be sure you answer all questions. Avoid answering "unsure" too many times as this will make your assessment less reliable.
- After you complete the assessment, download the FULL RESULTS (right side of the page under Assessment Options.) You should see your top personality traits, 5 top job categories, and 10 career matches. On subsequent pages, you will read more details about your work personality traits.
- Study your Career Coach Assessment results. You should learn your top three types or "Holland Code." Are the results what you expected?
- Your Career Coach results also identify career groups or clusters best suited to you. Do these sound like you?
- On your Career Coach profile page, scroll down and select “View Career Matches” to see your top matches and learn about daily duties, required education, regional wages, outlook, prospective employers, live job listings, and more. Select one position that is of interest to you and locate the required education, daily duties, salary, job outlook, and potential employers.
TIP: To log back into your account, go to https://southwest-tn.emsicc.com and enter your username and password.
Reflecting on Your Career Assessment Results
Step 1. Save a copy of your FULL Results or a screenshot of the first page of your Assessment Results and study them.
Step 2. Copy and paste the following questions into an empty document, then answer them. Submit your questions and answers in the same Assignment Dropbox you use for your Assessment Results.
- Do you agree with the work personality traits identified by the assessment, or did they surprise you?
- After looking over your top 5 job categories and 10 career matches, select a specific position identified on Career Coach that interests you.
- What is the position you selected?
- What is the required education for this position?
- What are the daily duties?
- What is the salary?
- What is the job outlook?
- Who are potential employers in this region?
- What have you learned as a result of this exercise that may be beneficial to you now or in the future?
Optional: If you would like to talk to Career Services about your assessment results or if you are having difficulty taking the assessment, we encourage you to contact Career Services. Instructions for setting up an appointment with Career Services are found under Step Two of the 10 Steps for Career Development Success. (https://www.southwest.tn.edu/career-services/docs/Career-Development-Guide.pdf)
Schedule an Appointment with Career Services (3 Options):
- Use the Navigate application at: https://swtn.navigate.eab.com. Once logged in, select “Career Services” as the care unit and follow the prompts to choose your appointment time.
- Email Career Services at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call Career Services at 901-333-4180
Career Services can meet with you by phone, email, Microsoft Teams, Zoom, or on campus.