Skip to main content
9: Early Hominins
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- Understand what is meant by “derived” and “ancestral” traits and why this is relevant for understanding early hominin evolution.
- Understand changing paleoclimates and paleoenvironments as potential factors influencing early hominin adaptations.
- Describe the anatomical changes associated with bipedalism and dentition in early hominins, as well as their implications..
- Describe early hominin genera and species, including their currently understood dates and geographic expanses.
- Describe the earliest stone tool techno-complexes and their impact on the transition from early hominins to our genus.
- 9.1: Defining Hominins
- 9.2: Paleoenvironment and Hominin Evolution
- 9.3: Derived Adaptations - Bipedalism
- 9.4: Derived Adaptations - Early Hominin Dentition
- 9.5: The Genus Australopithecus
- 9.6: Early Tool Use and Technology
- 9.7: Hominin Charts
- 9.8: Review Questions
- 9.9: Key Terms
- 9.10: End of Chapter Content