After reading this chapter, the student will be able to:
- Recognize opinion versus factual information;
- Recognize the different types of informative speeches;
- Decide on the best organizational approach for types of informative speeches;
- Follow proven guidelines for preparing an informative speech;
- Construct an informative speech.
- 12.1: What is an Informative Speech?
- An informative speech can first be defined as a speech based entirely and exclusively on facts. Basically, an informative speech conveys knowledge, a task that every person engages in every day in some form or another. Whether giving someone who is lost driving directions, explaining the specials of the day as a server, or describing the plot of a movie to friends, people engage in forms of informative speaking daily.
- 12.2: Types of Informative Speeches
- While the topics to choose from for informative speeches are nearly limitless, they can generally be pared down into five broad categories. Understanding the type of informative speech that you will be giving can help you to figure out the best way to organize, research, and prepare for it.
- 12.3: Guidelines for Selecting an Informative Speech Topic
- This section will more specifically focus on informative speech topics and problems that can arise when choosing them.