1.3: Why Should We Care?
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- Be able to describe and discuss some of the reasons why students should care about social scientific research methods.
- Identify the types of employment opportunities that exist for those with an understanding of social scientific research methods.
Consuming Research and Living With Its Results
Research as Employment Opportunity
- Whether we know it or not, our everyday lives are shaped by social scientific research.
- Understanding social scientific research methods can help us become more astute and more responsible consumers of information.
- Knowledge about social scientific research methods is useful for a variety of jobs or careers.
- Page or scroll through a few popular magazines or news sources. Pull out any examples you see of results from social science research being discussed. How much information about the research is provided? What questions do you have about the research? To what extent will the research shape your actions or beliefs? How, if at all, is your answer to that question based on your confidence in the research described?
- Want to know more about jobs and career possibilities for people with undergraduate sociology degrees? Check out the American Sociological Association’s page on employment for sociologists: asanet.org/employment/factsoncareers.cfm.
- Still not convinced about the value of sociology? If you happen to be someone who is swayed by star power, you might wish to peruse the following, which contains a list of famous sociology majors: http://www.asanet.org/students/famous.cfm.