Skip to main content
2: Culture and Communication
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- 2.1: The Impact of Culture on Behavior
- Some of the most significant aspects of identity and behavior are shaped by our culture. Learning about the cultural impact on communication can lead to an appreciation of the diversity of our society and provide tools to improve understanding and cooperation.
- 2.2: Understanding Cultural Differences
- Hofstede and Hall have studied how values and behavior are influenced by our culture. Dr. Charles Tidwell provides insight about cultural differences in nonverbal communication
- 2.3: Barriers to Intercultural Communication
- To understand how to communicate more effectively in intercultural situations, we need to understand some of the barriers that may stand in the way.
- 2.4:Cultural Communication Competence
- Hofstede, Hall, and Tidwell's insights are particularly helpful in understanding broad cultural differences. However, we are also engaged in intercultural communication when we are communicating with people of different races, ages, and genders than our own. In this section, we will share thought on co-cultural communication and explain the meaning of intercultural communication competence.
- 2.5: Intercultural Communication Activity