Skip to main content
2: A History of Evolutionary Thought
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- Identify and describe the major developments in scientific thought that led to the discovery of evolutionary processes.
- Explain how natural selection works and results in evolutionary change over time.
- Explain what is meant by the “Modern Synthesis” and its impacts on evolutionary thought.
- Discuss the teaching of human evolution in the U.S. and abroad.
- 2.1: The Beginnings of Evolutionary Thinking
- 2.2: Western European Evolutionary Thought
- 2.3: The Journey to Natural Selection
- 2.4: What Darwin was Missing
- 2.5: Evolution and Natural Selection Observable Today
- 2.6: Misconceptions about Human Evolution
- 2.7: Are We Still Evolving?
- 2.8: Key Developments in Evolutionary Thought
- 2.9: Review Questions
- 2.10: Key Terms
- 2.11: End of Chapter Content