Skip to main content
8: Roots of American National Culture
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- Name from memory as many as you can of the American beliefs and values discussed at the beginning of the chapter.
- What does Woodard mean when he says there are 11 nations in North America? (What is a nation?)
- Besides the English, which three other European powers established a major presence in North America?
- What makes New York the unique city that it is?
- To which colonies does Albion’s Seed refer? From where did these colonists come exactly? How was the understanding of “freedom” different in each of those colonies?
- From where did the founders of the Deep South come?
- What happened during the Westward Expansion?
- 8.1: Preliminary remarks
- 8.2: American beliefs and values
- 8.3: A closer look at American cultural diversity
- 8.4: Understanding U.S. Cultural Landscapes
- 8.5: Spanish influence
- 8.6: French influence
- 8.7: Dutch influence
- 8.8: Albion’s Seed
- 8.9: Englanders from Barbados
- 8.10: The Westward Expansion
- 8.11: Final reflection