Skip to main content
16: Contemporary Topics - Human Biology and Health
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- Describe the major transitions in patterns of disease that have occurred throughout human evolution.
- Describe what is meant by a “mismatch” between our evolved biology and contemporary lifestyles and how this is reflected in modern disease patterns.
- Explain how the human stress response can positively and negatively have an impact on health.
- Explain what a “syndemic” is and why the COVID-19 pandemic represents one.
- Describe the ways institutionalized racism and bias in the medical field contributed to different rates of exposure, differential treatment, morbidity, and mortality from COVID-19 for different ethnic groups in the United States.
- 16.1: Introduction to Contemporary Health Issues
- 16.2: Preagricultural Humans
- 16.3: Health Consequences of the Transition to Agriculture and Animal Domestication
- 16.4: Epidemiological Transitions
- 16.5: Obesity
- 16.6: Cardiovascular Disease
- 16.7: Osteorthritis
- 16.8: Cancer
- 16.9: Stress
- 16.10: Syndemics and the Ecological Model
- 16.11: Are We Still Evolving?
- 16.12: Food for Thoughts
- 16.13: Review Questions
- 16.14: Key Terms
- 16.15: End of Chapter Content