Skip to main content
2: Writing Hierarchical Long-Term and Short-Term IEP Objectives
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- 2.1: Introduction
- IEP objectives for students with mild disabilities should not be arrested at the lower levels of thinking within any area. Instead, they should completely transcend the cognitive hierarchy within every area. This can and should be done in both the inclusionary and the special education classrooms. Thus, with specific and usable examples, this chapter will demonstrate how you can do this in each of the major content areas, as well as in the daily living skills and employability training curricula
- 2.2: Individual Education Plans (IEPs)
- A measurable range of IEPs is necessary for any student with disabilities, regardless of whether the student is in a special education or an inclusionary classroom; and the obvious basis for this necessity is the global enhancement of each student.
- 2.3: Bloom’s Basic Cognitive Domain - Knowledge
- Recognition or recall of previously learned information; no comprehension or understanding of the information is implied.
- 2.4: Bloom’s Basic Cognitive Domain - Comprehension
- The ability to understand or summarize information; translating information from one form or level to another; predicting continuations in trends of data.
- 2.5: Bloom’s Basic Cognitive Domain - Application
- The ability to take information that has previously been acquired and comprehended and use it in concrete situations.
- 2.6: Bloom’s Basic Cognitive Domain - Analysis
- The ability to break down a unified whole into its basic parts and understand the relationship among these parts; determining cause and effect relationships; understanding analogies and metaphor; determining classifications.
- 2.7: Bloom’s Basic Cognitive Domain - Synthesis
- The assemblage of parts into a new whole; the formulation of a new hypothesis or plan of action; constructing a solution to an unfamiliar problem.
- 2.8: Bloom’s Basic Cognitive Domain - Evaluation
- The ability to judge a phenomenon on the basis of predetermined criteria or internal consistency.
- 2.9: Summary, References and Resources
- 2.10: Professional Development Activities and Exercises